Towelroot has been doing a great job and trusted by many people mostly by Samsung Galaxy S5 based on AT&T and Verizon networks, but it also supports other variants of Samsung Galaxy models and also devices from other manufacturers.
In this post you will learn how to root Android with Towelroot, and what devices are supported by Towelroot and also troubleshooting to fix if your phone is not supported by Towelroot.
Well if you are interested to use this awesome rooting tool. Then prepare everything needed before you get started.
Things to note and do.
- Keep in mind you need to enable Unknown Sources from your Android phone in order to install the apk file of the Towelroot (tr.apk).
Settings -> Security -> Check Unknown Sources to enable it.
- Then make a necessary backup, just in case if the process corrupt your data -- albeit it's a very slim chance.
- Have enough battery power before performing the rooting method from this post.
- Towelroot will not void your phone's warranty, as it won't trip your phone's KNOX counter.
- The rooting process is a few taps only process and very simple.
- Once your device's rooted, then you no longer be able to perform OTA update anymore, to update your device you will need to download it from your phone's manufacturer's websites, and manually flash the software update using a tool, such as Odin if your phone is Samsung Galaxy flagship.
How to root Android phone using Towelroot
- First thing first, use your phone browser then open the official website from this URL address https://towelroot.com/.
- Once you are in there, tap on the big size lambda sign there to download the Towelroot apk file.
- Once it's downloaded, find it on your SD card, the file name is tr.apk, tap it to install it.
- Once it's installed, open it.
- Then you will find a white button with line; Make It Rain, then tap on it to start the rooting process.
- A message will appear once you clicked on Make It Rain white button saying Thank you for using Towelroot...That means your phone is successfully rooted.
- Done! You have managed to root your Android phone.
Install SuperSU app from Google Play Store.
To protect your root access from any apps that want to utilize it without your notice, you need to install Supersu app from Google Play Store. Install it once you opened its page.
Then from now and forward, each time an app asking for root access, Supersu will ask your permission about it. You can deny or grant the permission. That would save your phone from being used by unauthorized actions.
Fix phone is not currently supported in Towelroot.
Firstly it is better to know what is avoiding your phone to be supported by Towelroot? It's because Modstring, it's what the Towelroot uses to modify exploit parameters to bring root access to our Android phone.
So the solutions offered by Geohotz is manually changing the modstring to make our phone's compatible with Towelroot. So here are the steps to change the strings in questions.
- Launch Towelroot app.
- Then tap three times on Welcome Towelroot v3 messages.
- That action will provoke a white box just below the Make It Rain box.
- Then you must type one of the below codes to the white box.
- First code; 1337 0 1 0 4 0 (Works for nearly all Android devices).
- Second code; 1337 0 1 7380 4 0 (for Samsung flagship only).
- Third code; 1337 0 1 0 4 1 (Universal code; delivering a temporary root access).
What Android devices supported by Towelroot?
Albeit Geohotz promised that his tool will work on all Android devices, but the reality against him, the tool only works on Android KitKat based devices and currently is not being able to serves neither HTC nor Motorola devices (at least when I write this article).
Only number of Android devices can enjoy the party. Below are the names of devices supported by Towelroot so far.
Google Nexus flagships.
- Nexus 4.
- Nexus 5.
- Nexus 7 2013.
- Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Samsung Galaxy S4.
- All Samsung Galaxy S5 variants.
- All Samsung Galaxy Note 3 variants.
- Galaxy S4 Active.
- Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.
- LG G2
- LG G2 Mini
- LG L90
- HP Slate 7 Extreme.
- Nvidia Shield Tablet.
- Amazon Fire TV.
- Amazon Kindle Fire X.
Towelroot is a great app, giving us very easy and a short trip to get our device rooted. However unlike most of the One-Click (actually it's a few clicks) rooting tools gives for example Framaroot, in Towelroot there is no unroot options thus you can only root your phone but unable to unroot it using Towelroot.
That's the only shortcoming I detect so far, the rest of the app are wonderful.
If your phone is rooted, that means nothing can stop you for making your phone a lot better performance than it's used it.
A powerful apps that require root access can now be used and preinstalled and disturbing apps can now be deleted, and many more activities that you wish can be done on non-rooted phone, are there for you to play.
Read about root Android and root Android using Framaroot.
What else can I say? Just enjoy your rooted Android phone. See you again in the next root methods posts on Install Android ROM blog.