And here are the points you are highly recommended to read before proceeding to root instructions.
- Make backups to your Android data, never skip this one especially if you are about to perform unofficial operations like rooting.
- Must have Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware installed.
- Be sure you have unlocked Motorola Moto G bootloader (Learn to unlock bootloader of Motorola devices).
- Must have enough batter power.
- A Windows / Mac OS X / Linux computer with a USB cable.
- Enable your Android USB debugging mode.
- If your phone has either CWM or TWRP recovery installed, I highly recommend you to backup using one of the custom recoveries.
- Download Fastboot / ADB package based on your existing OS.
Be sure you grab all the files above.
- Download CF-Auto-Root to be used for rooting your Motorola Moto G. Select the download links based on your Motorola Moto G models.
Instructions to root Motorola Moto G (2014)
- You can now connect your smartphone to computer using the available USB cable.
- Then power off your smartphone completely.
- When your phone is off, then we can now boot into Fastboot / Bootloader mode by powering it on and your fingers press these buttons; Volume Down + Power altogether, when you see Fastboot menu just hit Start on top of your screen.
- Now find the location where you put the extracted Fasboot folder. And then enter it.
- Within Fastboot folder perform the following actions based on your OS.
For Windows, select this;
For Linux click on this;
chmod +x root-linux.sh
For Mac OS X click this;
chmod +x root-mac.sh
- You can now the process will begin it's entirely automatic process -- if you are asked to follow the steps to unlock your bootloader from onscreen instructions, then do it.
Root Motorola Moto G with SuperBoot
Now the second method you are invited to apply is rooting the Moto G using the Superboot app. This tutorial for Motorola Moto G powered with Android KitKat (Pprecisely 4.4.4). The complete steps as follow.
- Download SuperBoot.img (Extract r1-motog-superboot.zip) to your computer and then extract it.
- Enable your phone USB debugging mode, by tapping for 5 or 7 times the Build Number on About Phone area. The Developer Options will appear right above the About phone, enter that section and find the USB Debugging option, then check the box beside it.
- Now we will need to enter the bootloader, simply turn off your phone then turn it on by pressing and holding these buttons; volume down and power together. Your phone will boot into the bootloader.
- You need to plug your device to a USB cable then plug it to your computer USB port. Then you will need to double click this file.
superboot-windows.bat (For Windows).
- A window of command prompt will appear the process of rooting will start, once it's done reboot your phone to normal mode manually.