So instead of waiting for your to come, how if you skip the boring of wait and take an available alternative with a custom ROM, because currently there are two ROMs await you to try. The CM12.1 ROM and Dirty Unicorns v9.3 ROM. But in this post I invite you to taste the second name, Dirty Unicorn.
This ROM will give you the newer Lollipop version, which is Android 5.1.1, and it's worth installing considering the features that await you.
Dirty Unicorns v9.3 ROM is based on AOSP along with number of functions from the older Dirty Unicorn version that's based on previous series of Android. One more thing this ROM is in testing stage, therefore expect some possible bug and issue that might be found on its stability. But don't lose interest yet, as not all the parts of it is lacking. As some parts of the ROM is sufficiently stable and even be recommended to be a daily driver.
Features offered by Dirty Unicorns v9.3 custom ROM.
- Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
- Custom boot animation.
- Theme engine.
- Lockscreen titles.
- Headsup options.
- Statusbar clock and data customization.
- Quick pulldown preference.
- Make sure you make a necessary backups to your precious data. You can use some apps available on Google Play Store to backup your data.
- To flash the Dirty Unicorns v9.3 Android 5.1.1 ROM your phone need to have a bootloader unlocked, so make sure your Xperia Z bootloader is unlocked. Or else back away. (Keep in mind unlocking bootloader will make you lose your warranty, so there will be no free of charge service anymore for you).
- Enable USB debugging mode through Developer Options area.
- Have installed CWM recovery as it's needed to flash the ROM zip files.
- We will perform factory reset as the part of the instructions. Again be sure you have backups.
- Google apps are not included in this ROM thus you will need to install the Google official apps separately.
Files you need.
Install Dirty Unicorns v9.3 ROM Android 5.1.1 ROM on Xperia Z using CWM recovery.
- Grab your USB cable and plug it to USB port of your computer and plug it to Xperia Z to connect the two devices.
- Now transfer the Dirty Unicorns and Gapps zip file to internal storage of your phone (Do not put the files on external storage, they should be put on internal storage).
- When all the files are transferred you can disconnect your phone to computer, and power your phone off to boot into recovery mode.
- You can perform backup here by simply selecting Backup and Restore option this will create a Nandroid backup. Only applies for a rooted phone.
- After that you can perform a factory reset by choosing the Wipe Data / Factory Reset option.
- When done with the cleaning. Now we can install the ROM, simply tap on install zip from sdcard, then find the Dirty Unicorns ROM zip file you saved on your phone's internal storage previously.
- Repeat the step for installing the Gapps after the ROM is completely installed.
- Now it's time to reboot your phone once the ROM zip file is fully installed. Just use Reboot System Now option to get your phone rebooted.