However for all rooted Xperia Z2 users, a bad news, there is no chance for them to enjoy the classic Android update procedure such as OTA. When the root access was made available for the device, the OTA utility was also disabled. Thus for these kind of users, they need to take the manual installations in order to bring the Android Lollipop 23.1.A.1.28 to their device.
No worry, because there is a custom ROM available to be flashed on all rooted Sony Xperia Z2 phone. Remember this is not actually a custom ROM, it's a stock firmware wrapped in the zip file that will not only deliver to you a pure and complete Android stock firmware (v23.1.A.1.28), it's also a pre-rooted that means it brings a supersu within, you will also install that Chainfire root app as well inside the firmware package.
You will also get a dual custom image custom recovery images once the firmware is running. If you are interested, then the post you are now reading covering the complete guides to flash the firmware with all its goodies to your phone.
But be sure you firstly read the preconditions section it is good start before performing any unofficial operations like this.
- The flashing tutorials and the firmware is only for the Sony Xperia Z2 with D6503 as its model.
- Activate your developer options and then enable Android USB debugging mode of your phone.
- Of course you need to firstly make backup over your existing data stored in your phone.
- Do not skip any step, could turn your phone into brick if there is a skipped step, remember that.
- Be sure your device's battery power is above %50.
- Remember that your Xperia Z2 should already be rooted with a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your computer and your USB cable are ready to be used.
- Perform the instructions here with all the risks are yours to take.
- Good luck guys.
How to update Sony Xperia Z2 to Android 23.1.A.1.28 Lollipop
- Download Android v23.1.A.1.28 Lollipop update for the Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 (1.26GB).
Instructions to manually install the official Android 23.1.A.1.28 Lollipop firmware on Sony Xperia Z2 D6503.
- Now transfer the zip file from your computer to your phone internal storage.
- And afterward, unplug your phone from computer.
- Power off your phone then boot into the recovery mode.
- Inside the recovery mode, perform a Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Then select Wipe Cache Partition, continued with performing the Wipe Dalvik Cache from the Advanced menu.
- Now Install Zip From SD Card followed with Choose Zip From SD Card to further find the zip file transferred phone internal storage. To flash the firmware zip file to your phone.
- Use *****Go Back***** option when done, then reboot your smartphone using Reboot System Now option.
- Once your phone finished rebooting, you can verify what's firmware running your phone through About phone, done.