Usually people root their Android OS to edit build.prop, but actually root is not a decisive requirement to edit this file. Because without rooting your device you still be able to edit it.
As long as you have TWRP recovery installed on your device. Then you can edit build.prop file.
But firstly it's wise to know what build.prop file is.
Build.prop is simply an Android system file that provides information about system properties, settings and other essential data.
Some of the information are about device's manufactures and some information are specific about your Android device.
Values and strings inside build.prop are important to be used as permissions regarding what features can be enabled on your smartphones / tablets.
Editing build.prop means you are able to modify or even create properties that will be loaded when you reboot your device.
How to edit build.prop file without root using ADB inside TWRP?
As I mentioned on the first paragraph that we don't need to root our device first as long as you have TWRP recovery installed.
Because TWRP recovery provides root access of our Android and ability to setup a ADB to us in order to modify system partition's files. Therefore using TWRP we are able to edit build.prop without rooting.
Enable USB debugging mode on Android OS.
Therefore it's required for you to install TWRP first, the following are the instructions you can follow.
Install TWRP recovery via Odin or install TWRP recovery via fastboot mode.
Tips. Make sure you firstly make backup to your build.prop file before it's modified.
Instructions to edit build.prop via TWRP recovery.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your computer now.
- Now turn off your device and then boot into the TWRP recovery.
- Now choose Mount -> then choose System from the partitions lists to mount your device's system partition and then go back.
- You need to connect your device to computer now.
- Launch a command window on your computer, then execute the command bellow to drag build.prop file.
adb pull /system/build.prop
- The command above is needed to downloaded the build prop file to your PC inside the same directory where you execute the command.
- If there is no Notepad++ in your computer, then you need it, therefore download and install Notepad++ software to your computer.
- Using Notepad++ to launch build.prop in your computer.
- You can now modify your build.prop as you need and then save the result to your computer.
- Now you need to transfer the modified build.prop file to your Android OS device with the following command.
adb push build.prop /system/
- You need to setup permission for build.prop file with the command below (one-by-one).
chmod 644 build.prop
- After all the permissions set just reboot your device using the reboot -> system option via TWRP recovery mode.