As we know that until now -- at least the time I write this post -- no official announcement from Google for delivering Android 7.0 Nougat to Nexus 5. In fact, from what I've read that Android Nougat drops support for not only for Nexus 5 but also for Nexus 7 2013.
So to bring the latest official Google's stock firmware to the device is now by using a custom ROM. The ROM that's based on AOSP released by third-party developers to bring a nearly the same experience plus with the additional features planted by the developers.
Now we can show our smiles knowing that there's already a nice developer putting his works to make the Nougat available for Nexus 5.
For that we should give our thanks to Shantosh, XDA recognized developer, who recently released an AOSP based Android 7.0 Nougat ROM that's dedicated for Nexus 5.
You are of course invited to flash it, but expect some bugs because currently the ROM is still in is a initial nougat alpha build stage.
The developer says this; to not using it as daily drivers, but flash it only if you want to.
If you are curious of what works and doesn't on this ROM. Please to read the following details. Have a nice read.
- Audio (works for calls & basics. Haven't checked music).
- Other stuff which i might have not mentioned under not working.
- Camera pics not getting saved.
- Many more.
- Have a TWRP recovery installed on your device.
- Backup everything you regard important.
- Charge your device's battery if it's too low.
Note. Proceed to the ROM flashing guides but keep in mind that all the risks which may happen during or after the process are yours to bear. Blame none but yourself. One morething, if your device warranty is still valid, then it will probably be voided.
Installing this ROM is similar like installing any other ROMs, as long as your device's already powered with TWRP custom recovery.
- Download the custom ROM above to your computer and then transfer the file to your device's internal storage.
- Once done, boot your Nexus 5 into the TWRP recovery.
- Press and hold Volume Down, Volume UP and Power buttons together. Release the buttons once you see Fastboot / Bootloader Mode. Use Volume keys to change START to recovery mode.
- Inside TWRP recovery, choose Wipe and then Swipe to Factory Reset that's on bottom screen.
└ Note. Make sure you have backups before performing this action.
- Back to TWRP main interface to select Install then pick the custom ROMs .zip file your previously transferred from PC.
- Once the zip file selected just perform Swipe to Confirm Flash to start the flashing process.
- After TWRP has finished flashing the ROM, then you will find and choose Wipe cache/dalvik option and do Swipe to wipe from the screen.
- Finally when the cache and dalvik wipe finishes, choose Back button appears on screen to further selecting the “Reboot System” button.
That's it guys. You can enjoy the ROM. Please to give your feedback to the official ROM's thread on XDA site.
Via Santosh M XDA forum.