Here you will be guided to install TWRP recovery on Moto G4 Play. The reason we do this is because once we have TWRP recovery installed then we can perform several handy things such as rooting our device, flashing custom ROMs, Kernel and make Nandroid backups.
The TWRP version is 3.0.2 and it is a free software developed by third-party developers to Android powered device owners make several non-official activities in order boosting their device’s performance.
And if you are ready, then we can continue to the steps in installing TWRP recovery on Moto G4 Play.
How to install TWRP on Moto G4 Play
- Backup every data you regard important.
- Unlock your Moto G4 Play first Or you can learn on how to unlock Motorola bootloader.
- The tutorials here only for Moto G4 Play.
- Installing this custom ROM will void your warranty.
- A computer with already have ADB and Fastboot installed and configured.
Follow the instructions here but all the risks that could happen are your responsible.
- Now download Android SDK on the Android Developers official website and then install it on your PC.
- Download Fasboot and ADB package based on your OS.
- Now you need to power off your device.
- Then connect your device to computer using the USB cable.
- Download TWRP twrp-3.0.2-0-athene.img then save it in the same folder as the extracted Fasboot / ADB package files.
- Boot your Moto G4 Play to Fasboot/Bootloader mode by pressing Volume UP + Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds til you see the text appear on screen.
- Now go inside to the directory where Fasboot are stored, then Open Command Prompt on computer and then execute this command.
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-athene.img
- Once it’s done, select Recovery from the Fasboot menu using Volume Keys and enter Recovery Mode.
Well done my friend you have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Moto G4 Play.