Many people ask on how to unlock bootloader on the OnePlus 5 phone, and fortunately the method for unlocking the phone is possible and quite easy. I found the methods almost similar as unlocking any other OnePlus devices.
So here I share the complete methods to unlock OnePlus 5 bootloader for you so you can follow to unlock yours. But remember doing so is not encouraged by the manufacture and there is a big chance you will loose your warranty.
But once your OnePlus 5 bootloader is unlocked then you can perform several activities such as rooting, flashing custom recoveries and ROMs.
- Only perform the guides if your device is OnePlus 5 and do not try it on other models of OnePlus.
- The guides here tested on the Windows OS but those who are familiar with Fastboot on either Mac or Linux can try it also.
- Be sure all the data you regard precious are backup.
- Your device warranty will be nullified.
- Prepare your Windows OS PC or laptop, USB cable and USB drivers installed.
- Do not forget to enable USB debugging mode of OnePlus 5 first (Skip it if you have).
- Perform to the guides at your own risk and InstallAndroidROM.CO.UK should not be held responsible for any possible negative outcome during of after the process.
How to unlock OnePlus 5 bootloader
Make sure you have made necessary backups before proceeding to the guides.
- Download Android SDK from the official Android Developers website then install it. And set up the SDK on your Windows computer.
- Or you can download ADB/Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools onto different package then install on your PC. The following are the links based on your existing OS then extract the file to your PC.
- In case you have Android SDK, just download Fastboot then extract the file android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools folder. Make directory if there is none.
- Now enable OEM unlock from your device. Enabling OEM Unlock is needed for unlocking bootloader. To do so just head to Settings -> Developer options then click on Enable OEM unlock option.
- On this step, I hope you have already backup your data, because the next process will erase your data. Now connect your OnePlus 5 to computer using the USB cable.
- Go to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools folder then launch the Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- You need to access into the Bootloader / Fasboot Mode on your device. Do so by type the command below in ADB.
adb reboot bootloader
- You need to find your device ID using the command below. Using the command below now.
fastboot oem unlock
Remember. Based on your device’s region, a screen could popup with Chinese words. The upper portion translated to ‘confirm and proceed’ while the other bottom translated to ‘cancel’. Therefore touch on the upper part to continue.
- Your device will now reboot normally after its booloader is unlocked. To confirm just use the Step 7 to boot into the Fasboot mode and type the command below.
fastboot oem device-info
Unlocked Bootloader gives you the output like this.
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
- Now reboot and enjoy your bootloader unlocked device now.
Congratulation guys you have a bootloader unlocked OnePlus 5 to be modified to the level of your dream.